Ethics and Morality
What’s the Difference Between Morality and Ethics?
Generally, the terms ethics and morality are used interchangeably, although a few different communities (academic, legal, or religious, for example) will occasionally make a distinction.
Ethics, also called moral philosophy, the discipline concerned with what is morally good and bad and morally right and wrong. The term is also applied to any system or theory of moral values or principles. Click here to read this entry written by Peter Singer. Peter Albert David Singer is an moral philosopher. He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and a Laureate Professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics.
Would you like to take this test?
After appearing in this test, read 'analysis' > scroll down to 'Political Compass Certificate' > Click to open new page > Enter Your Name to get PDF Certificate.
Video Recording of Dilip Barad's Session in AICTE sponsored STTP organised by Gandhinagar Institute of Technology on Communication Skills and Ethics.
Phase I: 30 Dec 2020
Phase II: 20 Jan 2021
Phase III: 3 Feb 2021
Ethics vs Morality
Let us read these statements to understand the difference between morality and ethics in proper context;
- If a teacher is irregular in his duty (i.e. not completing syllabus), s/he may be considered unethical but we cannot call him 'immoral'.
- If a teacher is physically exploiting students, s/he may be considered immoral as well as unethical.
- If a teacher supports students agitating against management, it may be considered morally righteous but unethical.
- If a teacher is doing administration work at the cost of teaching, s/he may be considered morally right but unethical.
- If a teacher is forced to do admin work instead of teaching, it is unethical but it may not be considered immoral
- The Lawyer telling court that his/her client is guilty is morally right but ethically it violets attorney-client privilege.
- Regular full time teachers - doing private tuitions = Unethical or Immoral?
- Teacher asking for money to pass students = Unethical or Immoral?
- If we cannot take exams without invigilator, how can we say that our education system deals with morality and ethics in a proper way?
Post a Comment