Gun Island - Amitav Ghosh
Genre: Novel, Cli-fi (Climate Fiction)
- What is Cli-fi (Climate Fiction)?
- Climate fiction (sometimes shortened as cli-fi) is literature that deals with climate change and global warming. Not necessarily speculative in nature, works may take place in the world as we know it or in the near future. The genre frequently includes science fiction and dystopian or utopian themes, imagining the potential futures based on how humanity responds to the impacts of climate change. Technologies such as climate engineering or climate adaptation practices often feature prominently in works exploring their impacts on society. Climate fiction is distinct from petrofiction which deals directly with the petroleum culture and economy. (To read more, open this Wikipedia link)
- Brief History of Cli-fi : Freelance writer Dan Bloom coined the term cli-fi in 2011 in a press release for Jim Laughter’s Polar City Red, a novel set amid climate refugees in a future Alaska. Today, Bloom publishes The Cli-Fi Report, an online resource serving all things climate fiction. From his home in Taiwan, he told Means & Matters he sees cli-fi as an urgent genre, a route to “wake people up via storytelling.”
Characters and Summary of 'Gun Island
1. Characters and Summary - 1 | Sundarbans | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
2. Characters and Summary - 2 | USA | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
3. Summary - 3 | Venice | Part 2 of Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
Thematic Study of 'Gun Island
1. Etymological Mystery | Title of the Novel | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
2. Historification of Myth & Mythification of History | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
3. Climate Change | The Great Derangement | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
4. Migration | Human Trafficking | Refugee Crisis | Gun Island | Amitav Ghosh
Points to Ponder:
- How does this novel develop your understanding of a rather new genre known as 'cli-fi'?
- How does Amitav Ghosh use myth of Gun Merchant 'Bonduki Sadagar' and Manasa Devi to initiate discussion on the issue of Climate Change and Migration/Refugee crisis / Human Trafficking?
- How does Amitav Ghosh make use of 'etymology' of common words to sustain mystery and suspense in the narrative?
- There are many Italian words in the novel. Click here to view the list of words. Have you tried to translate these words into English or Hindi with the help of Google Translate App? If so, how is Machine Translation helping in proper translation of Italian words into English and Hindi?
- What are your views on the use of myth and history in the novel Gun Island to draw attention of the reader towards contemporary issues like climate change and migration?
- Is there any connection between 'The Great Derangement' and 'Gun Island'?